At Queen City Elder Care, we deal with patients with varying degrees and causes of memory loss. From Alzheimer’s to issues related to strokes, we’ve seen it all and often get asked if brain games actually help. Research shows that keeping the brain active may build its reserve of brain cells and connections. You could even gain new cells by exercising the brain. These are all important factors in dealing with memory loss.
At Queen City Elder Care, we utilize a Mind Design Games Memory Care Activity Set that is specially developed for individuals suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of memory loss. A Mind Design Game is a set of ten activities designed to support the critical aspects of dementia, while maintaining the self-dignity of your loved one. Created by caregivers, Mind Design Games tackle the following:
- Communication/Word Recognition
- Memory/Reminiscent Therapy
- Coordination /Motor Skills
- Visual and Audio Sensory Perception
- Critical Thinking / Problem Solving
When thinking about staying fit, it is important to include your brain. Doing these exercises will help ensure healthy brain activity. There are even several games you can do at home like using the popular iPhone app, Fit Brains Trainer which gives you a variety of puzzles that are meant to be fun. Even the Alzheimer’s Association of Australia has released its own popular and free app called BrainyApp.
Whether you choose crosswords, online games or physical puzzles, you are helping your brain build and keep connections. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
- In-Home Care: Avoid Caregiver Burnout with These Tips - October 19, 2021
- Breast Cancer Awareness for Seniors - October 13, 2021
- Senior Home Care: Steps to Take on Your Dad’s First Day of Services - October 6, 2021